Trail Maintenance Technicians at the U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) are responsible for sustaining and developing the USNWC Trail System. The USNWC conserves and maintains 1,300 acres of land in Charlotte, NC with over 30 miles of developed, mixed-use trails.
- Perform all aspects of trail maintenance and construction as assigned by crew leaders and the Activity and Trail Maintenance Manager
- Assist in building of new segments of mixed-use trail
- Perform rehabilitation and restoration on heavily impacted and temporarily inactive sections of trail
- Clear brush and fallen logs from trail corridor
- Clean, repair, and construct both natural and rock drains
- Help with the installation of log and rock retainer bars and steps
- Construct and inspect bridges made from native or other available materials
- Maintain trail features such as causeways, riprap and rock armor structures, and cribbing trail tread
- Comply with department and company policies including standards for work quality, safety, and operations
- Regularly assist the Race Manager and Events team in marking trails for Whitewater Race Series events – trail runs, mountain bike races, adventure races, etc.
- May assist other teams with various projects and assignments as needed
- Maintain availability to work some evenings, weekends, and holidays coinciding with USNWC events
- Experience in trail maintenance and conservation
- Proficiency working with a variety of trade tools – shovels, picks, McLeods, rakes, axes, Pulaskis, various types of saws (e.g. pole, hand etc.), loppers, chisels, sledgehammers, single jacks, rock bars, measuring tapes, levels, squares, ropes, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret documents with strong attention to detail – e.g. safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions, and other manuals
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Ability to reach, bend, and stoop frequently
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
- Ability to work outdoors for sustained periods of time under varying weather conditions
Full-time, Year Round
Activity and Trail Maintenance Manager
Staff Discount Program
Health, Dental, Vision
Flexible Spending Account
The U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) is dedicated to the promotion of the active, outdoor lifestyle. We are a team whose culture and work environment facilitates real engagement through real experiences. Since 2006, the USNWC has engaged all levels of participants through its activity passes, instruction, and youth programming as well as its festivals, races, and other outdoor events. Opportunities can be found at the USNWC for those interested in active summer jobs, a gateway into the outdoor lifestyle, or furthering your career in the outdoor industry.
The U.S. National Whitewater Center (USNWC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the USNWC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
NOTICE: Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. The USNWC is an employer who participates in the E-Verify program.