• Lead quality assurance and surveillance inspection activities on capital and select maintenance projects
• Welding quality assurance
• Coordinate or perform API 510, 570 and 653 inspections
• Review, comment on and approve ITPs and NDE procedures
• Review and assist with development of welding, fabrication, and inspection / testing procedures
• Perform / contract PT, MT, UT, PMI, BHN testing (schedule 3rd Party NDE)
• Walk down / verify final installations for acceptability to jurisdictional requirements, industry accepted standards and codes, URC specifications, and project specific requirements.
• Review fabrication drawings and address comments with Engineering and the Pipe Shop
• Compile completed project documentation packages
• Serve as QC / QA liaison between Shops, Engineering Department and contractors
• Support training and continuous improvement initiatives throughout the company
• Ensure / enforce ASME Code compliance
• Develop and standardize piping Inspection and Test Plans
• Aid in implementation of an Inspection Department database
• Manage equipment inspection schedules and recommendations
• Knowledge of refinery safe work practices
• ASME Code and AWS welding experience
• CWI certification
• API 510, API 570, and / or API 653 certification
• Pressure vessel and / or piping fabrication / repair experience
• Nondestructive examination (NDE) certifications including PT, MT, and UT are preferred
• Basic personal computer skills (EXCEL, WORD, etc.)
• Strong knowledge of ASME BPVC and Piping Codes, API Standards, National Board Inspection Code, AISC and AWS specifications along with the aptitude to further understand such codes and standards
• Nondestructive examination (NDE) certifications including CWI, PT,MT, UT, VT
• Ability to communicate technical requirements accurately and professionally to various craft personnel
Additional Desired Abilities for Position:
• Ability and willingness to climb (pressure vessels, towers, structures, etc.)
• Ability to perform physical work in confined spaces for extended time periods
• Ability to work in a wide range of temperature conditions for extended periods
• Good visual acuity (uncorrected or corrected) to perform various inspection tasks
• Good communications skills, written & verbal
• Good interpersonal relations skills
• Good organizational and planning skills
• Good work ethic
• Ability to work independently and / or as a team member
• Desire for learning & training in a wide variety of technical subject disciplines
• Willingness and desire to assume positions of greater responsibility
• Skilled in reading mechanical engineering drawings, P&IDs, and piping isometrics
• Able to prepare field sketches of equipment and piping systems
• Work is split between field and office environments, however, there will be regular interaction, and participation in activities that require a presence in a shop or field environment.
• There will be periods that require more than 40 hours per week, including weekends. Shift work may be required at times.
Physical Demands: Moderate. Ability to work in all kinds of weather, to navigate uneven terrain, and to lift in excess of 50 lbs. Field activities will include construction site conditions that may include uneven and rough grading, ditching, navigation among field equipment, structures, and piping. Ladder or stair access may be required to elevated structures and platforms. Ability to perform physical work in confined spaces for extended time periods. Good visual acuity (uncorrected or corrected) to perform various inspection tasks. Field activities will require Personnel Protection Equipment (PPE).
Programs/Equipment Used: Position requires significant use of computer, calculator, and inspection support equipment, such as a UT thickness meter, pit gauge and underground utility locators to name a few. Computer programs used include Microsoft Office, including Excel, and PDF software. Experience with Maximo or an inspection database is preferred.
Required Education and Experience: High school graduate, or equivalent. 5 years of experience in ASME pressure part manufacturing or refining facility.
Preferred Education and Experience: Associates or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited technical school in fields of study such as welding or engineering technology. Inspection or Quality Assurance experience in refining or chemical industry highly desired. CWI certification, API 510, 570, and 653 or the ability to acquire these certifications is highly desired.