• Provide engineering support in the mechanical design, and Code and industry Standards (e.g. API) compliance of the refinery’s pressure vessel and piping systems.
• Supports United Refining’s Engineering, Maintenance, Pipeline, and Inspection Groups.
• Engineering support activities include:
o Review and provide guidance for capital project mechanical specifications, drawings, and other technical documents.
o Review and provide guidance on Code related questions, primarily State jurisdictional laws, ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel, and piping Codes, and API Standards.
o Perform or review mechanical design calculations for:
ASME Code calculations
Structural design and modeling
o Aid in the establishment of priorities and planning for shutdown activities.
• Support the refinery’s Inspection Department activities, such as:
o Managing the refinery’s “R” stamp program
o Determining Code compliance and providing repair recommendations
o Determining Fitness for Service of equipment, vessels, and piping as issues arise
• Provide guidance and support to the Kiantone Pipeline to ensure DOT regulation, ASME Code, and API Standards compliance.
• Project lead for select projects, including:
Oversight in development of project drawings
Development of project bid packages
Managing work of refinery construction personnel or external contractors
Work with minimal supervision while ensuring that projects are completed on time, on budget, and compliant with design technical and mechanical requirements
• Supporting other Project Group engineering responsibilities as may be required.
• Strong mechanical aptitude
• Knowledgeable in State, ASME Pressure Vessel and Piping Code requirements, and applicable API Standards
• Fluent in Code calculations and software
• While daily activities are based out of an office environment, there will be regular interaction and participation in activities that require a presence in a shop or field environment.
• There will be periods that require more than 40 hours per week, including weekends.
Physical Demands: Moderate. However, field activities can include entry into confined spaces, navigating among field equipment and piping, and ladder/stair access to structural platforms. Field activities will require Personnel Protection Equipment (PPE).
Programs/Equipment Used: Position requires significant use of computer and calculator. Computer programs utilized can include MicroSoft Office, MicroSoft Projects, CodeCalc, Ceasar, ALGOR, and CFD software.
Required Education and Experience: B.S. Mechanical Engineering with at least 5-10 years of industrial experience
Preferred Education and Experience: Experience in refining or chemical industry. Thorough understanding of ASME Codes.