• Interface, support, & cooperate with Pipe Shop / Riggers Shop Supervisors
• Visual and dimensional inspections
• Welding inspections
• Verifying welder qualifications and continuity
• Prepare weld maps, MTR maps, & NDE maps as required
• Review and assist with development of welding, fabrication, and inspection / testing procedures
• Witness hydrostatic tests
• Perform / contract PT, MT, UT, PMI, BHN testing (schedule 3rd Party NDE)
• Review X-Ray film
• Inspect weldments upon fit-up, in-process, & upon completion
• Walk down / verify final installations for acceptability to jurisdictional requirements, industry accepted standards and codes, URC specifications, and project specific requirements.
• Administer equipment calibration program (pressure gages, welding equipment, etc.)
• Review fabrication drawings and address comments with Engineering and the Pipe Shop
• Verify project compliance with and contribute to enforcement of United Refinery Policy RG-32
• Review mill test reports (MTR) and verify MTR traceability to material markings
• Compile completed project documentation packages
• Serve as QC / QA liaison between shops and Engineering Department
• Monitor rod oven temperatures & control of weld filler materials
• Support training and continuous improvement initiatives in the shops
• Evaluate proposed new shop equipment
• Ensure / enforce ASME Code compliance
• Prepare PWHT guidelines; monitor PWHT activities; review PWHT results
• Develop and standardize piping Inspection and Test Plans
• Knowledge of refinery safe work practices
• ASME Code and AWS welding experience
• CWI certification
• Pressure vessel and / or piping fabrication / repair experience
• Nondestructive examination (NDE) certifications including PT, MT, and UT are preferred
• Basic personal computer skills (EXCEL, WORD, etc.)
• Strong knowledge of ASME BPVC and Piping Codes, API Standards, National Board Inspection Code, AISC and AWS specifications along with the aptitude to further understand such codes and standards
• Ability to communicate technical requirements accurately and professionally to various craft personnel
Additional Desired Abilities for Position:
• Ability and willingness to climb (pressure vessels, towers, structures, etc.)
• Ability to perform physical work in confined spaces for extended time periods
• Ability to work in a wide range of temperature conditions for extended periods
• Good visual acuity (uncorrected or corrected) to perform various inspection tasks
• Good communications skills, written & verbal
• Good interpersonal relations skills
• Good organizational and planning skills
• Good work ethic
• Ability to work independently and / or as a team member
• Desire for learning & training in a wide variety of technical subject disciplines
• Willingness and desire to assume positions of greater responsibility
• Skilled in reading mechanical engineering drawings, P&IDs, and piping isometrics
• Able to prepare field sketches of equipment and piping systems.
• Work is split between field and office environments, however, there will be regular interaction, and participation in activities that require a presence in a shop or field environment.
• There will be periods that require more than 40 hours per week, including weekends. Shift work may be required at times.
Physical Demands: Moderate. Ability to work in all kinds of weather, to navigate uneven terrain, and to lift in excess of 50 lbs. Field activities will include construction site conditions that may include uneven and rough grading, ditching, navigation among field equipment, structures, and piping. Ladder or stair access may be required to access elevated structures and platforms. Ability to perform physical work in confined spaces for extended time periods. Good visual acuity (uncorrected or corrected) to perform various inspection tasks. Field activities will require Personnel Protection Equipment (PPE).
Programs/Equipment Used: Position requires significant use of computer, calculator, and inspection support equipment, such as a UT thickness meter, hardness gauge and coating film thickness measurement devices to name a few. Computer programs used include Microsoft Office, including Excel, and PDF software.
Required Education and Experience: High school graduate, or equivalent. 5 years of experience in ASME pressure part manufacturing or refining facility.
Preferred Education and Experience: Associates or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited technical school in fields of study such as welding or engineering technology. Inspection or Quality Assurance experience in refining or chemical industry highly desired. CWI certification or the ability to acquire CWI certification is highly desired.