Provides customer service to guests during their visit to the Aquarium. Efficiently works with cash handling and computerized ticketing system. Staffs the information desk. Educates guests about the Aquarium’s animals and conservation programs. Conducts orientations for school groups and other visitors. Ensures the smooth flow of guest traffic. Requirements:
• Adhere to the South Carolina Aquarium Policies & Procedures.
• Staff ticket booths and directly work on computerized ticketing system.
• Man information desk, thoroughly answer guest inquiries and enthusiastically handle special guest requests and problems.
• Educate guests about Aquarium animals at exhibits and while handling live animals in the galleries and at the touch tank.
• Direct arriving guests through admissions procedure in a friendly, courteous manner.
• Greet school buses and escort group members through admissions process.
• Promote memberships, Adopt-An-Animal and other Aquarium fund-raising programs to guests.
• Graciously direct and facilitate traffic through the aquarium, efficiently handling crowds and the logistics associated with their control.
• Ensure all guest resource information, such as maps, brochures and tourist information, is neatly exhibited and available for distribution.
• Maintain the safety, cleanliness and organization of all work and break areas, both in view of the general public and behind the scenes.
• Adhere to all procedures involving cash transactions, and maintain security of cash handling process.
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Support the mission by participating in Aquarium sponsored programs and events on a regular basis.
• Assist Aquarium guests in a variety of posts and responsibilities from taking tickets to assisting in the organization of our daily responsibilities.
• Support the team structure of the organization by remaining responsive to the needs of the management and supervisors, filling in when and where needed as directed.
• Develop familiarity with all Aquarium exhibits, services and events, as well as those of other facilities in the community.
• Assist special needs visitors from the building in the event of an emergency.
• Maintain all safety and security procedures, ensuring a positive environment for all who enter the aquarium, staff, volunteer and guest alike.
• Required to move satellite sales carts and crowd control barriers as necessary.
• Other Duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Experience in hospitality or customer service environment, preferably in high-volume, face-to-face positions.
• Must enjoy working with people of all backgrounds.
• Positive communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must have basic computer skills.
• Experience in accurate and timely cash handling.
• Ability to work all areas including Ticket booth, indoor and outdoor stations, parking garage, park, entrance and exit ramps, and inside the aquarium lobby and exhibit areas.
• Willingness to learn about Aquarium animals and programs.
• Knowledge of the Charleston community.
• Enthusiasm and a pleasant demeanor.
• Strong sense of responsibility
• Flexibility and adaptability, especially under pressure.
• A positive, team-oriented work ethic.
• Attention to detail.
• Public speaking ability a plus.
• Must be available days, nights, weekends and holidays.
• Ability to lift boxes, weighing less than 25 lbs., which contain brochures, ticket stock, receipt paper and office supplies.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Must have a High School Diploma or GED.
• Minimum of one-year in hospitality/tourist based operation preferred.
LICENSE & CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
• Valid Drivers License.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Often requires walking, standing, bending, stooping, crouching, carrying up to 50 lb, sitting, pushing and pulling, computer and phone tasks.Additional Info:
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
WORKING CONDITIONS: Often requires working outdoors, contact with public, rotating shifts, working weekends and required to carry a radio.