The Sous Chef is responsible for planning and directing food preparation in a kitchen. This will involve a large degree of supervising other kitchen staff. As assistant to the Executive Chef, the Sous Chef will help with menu planning, inventory, and managing of supplies and will also aid in making sure the kitchen is up to safety standards and that staff are obeying sanitation rules. During mealtimes, it is important that the Sous Chef be quick on his/her feet and be able to make smart decisions instantly. The Sous Chef is responsible for staff scheduling and discipline, when necessary.
• Plans the activities of and schedules for all food production and foodservice sanitation employees to maximize productivity while minimizing labor costs to achieve and improve upon budgetary guidelines.
• Prepares food to precise specifications before and during operations.
• Properly measures and portions all food items. Complies with all portion sizes, quality standards, department rules, policies and procedures.
• Utilizes kitchen equipment to prepare food items such as: knives, slicers, whips, pots, pans, warmers, steamers, grills, ovens, etc.
• Ensures proper food temperatures are maintained and food is stored correctly.
• Ensures proper freshness and quality of all menu items.
• Packages all products to proper specifications.
• Performs opening, closing and side work duties as instructed and according to proper guidelines.
• Keeps workstation and equipment clean, organized, sanitized, and sufficiently stocked.
• Follows and upholds all health codes and sanitation regulations.
• Sets up and operates kitchen equipment.
• Uses waste control guidelines and records all waste on spoilage sheet.
• Performs other ad hoc duties assigned.
• Minimum two years of formal culinary/quantity foodservice management training or commensurate experience; minimum two years of culinary preparation experience; minimum two years of culinary experience.
• Management experience in a similar high volume foodservice operation with similar duties and responsibilities
• Experience working in a computer network environment utilizing Microsoft Word and Excel programs.
• Must possess full ability to communicate effectively in the English language orally, electronically, and in normal business forms.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Ability to speak and understand English.
• Ability to work varied hours/days, including nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms and talk or listen carefully.
• The employee frequently is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and climb or balance.
• The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.