The purpose of the Assistant Business Controller is to provide support and training to Operations in managing/driving sales, creating, implementing, monitoring and communicating cost & labor controls, forecasting branch/region results, conducting financial analysis and disseminating reports, establishing a control environment and performance management.
• Ensures compliance with all company standards and policies, provides training to Operations Finance and/or branch management to maintain the appropriate operations control environment and build both financial and business acumen
• Implements company defined financial metrics throughout their area of through standardized training and development with Operations Controllers and their staff and/or Director of Operations
• Creates and/or reviews existing policies and procedures with the support of Operations Finance to ensure accuracy
• Manages the annual Control Self-Assessment to ensure locations are setup for success
• Partners with branch management to improve store level performance through daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly reviews
• Evaluates operations processes and makes the appropriate recommendations and/or implements the appropriate solutions
• Oversees the onboarding process for Operations Controllers and staff
• Partners with Business Controllers to provide support for training and/or position coverage as necessary within the operations finance arena
• Ensures the financial integrity of the operations income statement and balance sheet through weekly/monthly/quarterly close processes
• Partners with branch management regarding price sweeps, menu and/or product optimization, zone, capture and/or market share analysis and implementation
• Supports inventory management, cost of sales optimization, labor workforce management optimization through leading analysis and training management
• Partners with operations management to provide accurate fact-based analysis to support both sales growth and expense reductions/improvements at a store level.
• Partners with Business Controller and/or Sr. Director Ops Finance in preparing reports and presentations, including developing financial bridges as required by management
Reporting relationship and other important information
• The Assistant Business Controller position as described falls under the Fair Labor Standards act as an Exempt position
• This position typically reports to the regional Operations Business Controller
• The position will require travel to support the requirements of the business up to 50%.
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Work Environment:
• Requires an understanding of accounting, operations, and financial management and operational acumen typically gained through a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Finance, Accounting, or related field of study, and 5 years of experience providing professional finance services within a high volume multi-unit restaurant environment with a significant hourly workforce.
• Requires demonstrated strong financial acumen and the ability to understand and teach variance analysis
• Requires demonstrated advanced working knowledge of Excel including financial modeling skills
• Requires strong organizational skills, the ability to work independently while managing multiple priorities
• Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Requires ability to build strong relationships; function well in a matrixed organizational environment; develop strong relationships with external partners including Joint Ventures, sub-tenants and landlords
• Experience in reading and interpreting contractual agreements, a plus
All job requirements are subject to change to reflect the evolving position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to which will be required in this position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager (within guidelines and compliance with Federal and State Laws). Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
HMSHost is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.