About Gray Television:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 86 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
KY3 and KSPR are part of a seven-station group in Springfield, MO. KY3 is one of the most dominant NBC affiliates in the country, while KSPR is an up-and-coming ABC station. KYCW, the high-rated CW station, also broadcasts from the same studio, and the combined newsrooms produce newscasts for all three stations. KY3/KSPR covers 31 counties in southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas and has four news gathering bureaus stationed throughout the DMA. KY3 and KSPR are known for their regional and national award winning local news, weather and sports coverage, large-scale and numerous community service projects, and effective broadcast and digital marketing solutions. We are proud of our close connections with the communities we serve in the Ozarks.
The KY3/KSPR newsroom in beautiful Springfield, MO is looking for a dynamic, energetic alert desk anchor in the mornings. The right employee will be part producer, part MMJ, part breaking news anchor. We need someone who can ad-lib very well throughout several hits during a four-hour morning newscast, get breaking news up quickly (including video, live cameras, supers and social media), and be able to use sources to confirm stories quickly. Must bring enterprise, research-driven stories to the table daily when there is not breaking news. The best candidate will be able to maintain urgency when needed in the newscast and be organized off-air to help with the website, social media and OTT desk scheduling.
The primary job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Must have bachelor’s degree in journalism/communication or equivalent background
• Must be willing to train on the digital desk switcher and audio board and use daily
• Must have prior on-air experience in a newsroom, we prefer at least 2 years
• Prioritize, organize, and produce individual on-air hits newscasts following the station brand and goals
• Must have the ability to develop content through cameras, traffic websites, national feeds, affiliates and independent sources
• Responsible for writing clearly, concisely and very conversationally
• Must be able to clearly ad-lib during all on-air hits.
• Must be able to do several things at once – social media, website, on-air, produce your hit, and set up FB and OTT hits.
• Must maintain working knowledge of current events, community issues, and extensive list of local contacts
• Accurate video editing with an eye for visual elements and graphics that makes stories understandable to the viewer
• Responsible for developing original story ideas for daily newscasts
• Special emphasis on working with producers on story treatment, and be able to accurately gather information for news stories under pressure
• Able to accurately and calmly handle decision-making process, research social media posts and story ideas under heavy deadline pressure without compromising accuracy or credibility
• Must possess excellent communication and organizational abilities, including working with the news director and executive producer to ensure story accuracy, and to determine the best presentation of reports
• Must be able to shoot and edit yourself using our gear – daily.
• Must be able to use ENPS (or train to) for scripting, including graphics and supers.
• Responsible for creating a unique approach to all digital elements for the newscast, including Facebook page, Twitter, website
• Must be willing to work flexible hours, including evening, weekends, and holidays as needed
• Make regular beat checks
• Demonstrate good news judgment and journalistic integrity.
• Ability to maintain professional and ethical conduct at the station and in the community.
• Performs other incidental and related duties as assigned and attention to detail is required
• Ability to work with limited supervision
• Must have the desire to be at work during big breaking news, weather coverage and special event coverage
• Must be willing, during big breaking news events to be out in the field live
• Duties are performed mostly indoors in an office environment
• Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
• While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to stand, walk, talk, hear, use hands and fingers, reach, grab, handle or feel, stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. Regularly sit, talk, and hear
• Nights, overnights, weekends and holidays may be required
• Must hold a valid driver’s license/ability to obtain a Missouri license and be insurable
◘ Interested applicants can apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings by searching the station call letters (KYTV-TV) and attach your resume
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of [Company Name]’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.