About Gray Television:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
KALB-TV is the No. 1 television station in the region of Central Louisiana. Our market comprises four primary parishes (counties), including Rapides, Avoyelles, Vernon, and Grant. We are located in Alexandria, Louisiana, a community of nearly 50,000 people right in the heart of the state. Across the Red River is the community of Pineville, which boasts an additional 15,000. Alexandria may be market 179, but there is nothing small about our approach to news. KALB-TV includes the traditional NBC (News Channel 5) that has dominated the market for nearly 60 years, CBS-2, and the CW Cenla - Cenla, by the way, is short for Central Louisiana. Each weekday, KALB produces 6 ½ hours of news, and each newscast is the dominant No. 1 in its time slot. Our team is comprised of several veterans who have worked in this market for many years as well as those first entering the business. We are proud of our track record of talent that has gone on to larger markets, especially those who have stayed in Gray Television.
As for Alexandria, we have a true advantage of being in the center of the state. This means we are just three hours from New Orleans and two hours or less from every other major city in the state, including Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Monroe and Shreveport. Alexandria has a proud military tradition and is the location of the former England Air Force Base (now England AirPark) and just 45 miles from Fort Polk and the Joint Readiness Training Center, a key training facility for the U.S. Army. Alexandria International Airport has connecting flights to Atlanta, Houston and Dallas on a daily basis. Alexandria is the home of LSU-Alexandria, one of the premiere athletic programs in NAIA, and Pineville has been the home of Louisiana College for more than 100 years. “LC” as it is known is a liberal arts Christian college.
Among the great features of Alexandria are the Alexandria Zoo, the Alexandria Museum of Art and numerous festivals including the Alexandria Mardi Gras weekend, Alexandria RiverFete’ and Alexandria WinterFete’. A great place to raise a family or retire, Alexandria has recently made a commitment to develop its historic downtown area, a now popular spot for the younger demographic. On top of all that, Louisiana is the “Sportsman’s Paradise,” and there are great fishing, hunting, hiking, and biking opportunities in the area.
To learn more about Alexandria, and KALB, visit:
KALB-TV is looking for an anchor for our new 4 p.m. newscast that will debut in September, 2019.
This newly-created newscast will be a well-paced, conversational, informative program that will set the table for our evening newscasts. The right candidate will be a true hybrid of talents, including the ability to anchor, produce and even report/shoot in the field. This is NOT an entry-level position. A minimum two years experience is strongly preferred.
This will be a Monday-Friday position with hours falling mostly between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., though the schedule will be subject to change based on each day's editorial needs. In addition to anchoring, daily tasks will include producing, posting to our website and social media, and reporting in the field as needed.
We are looking for a person with a great attitude, team spirit, and pride in their work. Strong anchoring, reporting and writing skills are a must.
This position will most likely be include anchoring five days per week and reporting two to three days per week. Hours will vary but generally will fall within 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Negotiable, depending upon experience
• Read copy on the air and gather information, video content, interviews, and other elements necessary to produce thorough, high-quality news reports
• Present news and other content across all platforms, including social media, in a way that connects with viewers and demonstrates credibility, authority and broadly-based knowledge of news
• Writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating of news programming and other content presentation
• Provide leadership that encourages excellence and assist in the smooth operation of the organization
• Maintain a deep level of familiarity with local, state and national issues, news-makers, and current events
• When needed, shoot, write and edit well-written, fully-documented and creatively-produced news stories, series and/or documentaries for all platforms, including social media. Investigative reporting opportunities will come with this position
• Represent KALB-TV positively in the community in a courteous and professional manner
• Participate in promotional activities including public appearances
• Participate in special projects and perform other duties as assigned
• Respond to breaking news and other urgent newsroom situations as required
• Coach and train as required
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications preferred, although similar degrees will be considered
• Minimum two years professional experience as anchor and/or MMJ
• Ability to work independently in a “one man band,” backpack, multimedia environment
• Ability to edit on non-linear systems such as Edius
• Effective on-air performance and strong news judgment
• Knowledge of local, state and national current events, news-makers, and issues
• Ability to conduct in-depth research and pursue investigative stories effectively
• Good news writing and copy editing ability for all platforms including social media – the ability to post to www.kalb.com and KALB’s Twitter and Facebook accounts is required.
• Knowledge of libel laws and ethical foundations of journalism
• Maintain professional personal appearance as defined by KALB-TV management
• Ability to work cooperatively with others to create a sense of teamwork in the presentation of news and other programming
• Ability to conduct probing, in-depth and engaging interviews
• Proficiency in current and emerging news-gathering and production technologies
• Knowledge of news production techniques and demonstrated ability to develop engaging presentation
• Enhance stories by providing insight and perspective
• Ability to think quickly and respond appropriately in high pressure situations
• Valid driver’s license with good driving record
• Ability to lift, carry and maneuver up to 20 lbs.
• Ability to work in all weather conditions
• Flexibility to work any assigned shift
Applicants interested can apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
GRAY TELEVISION, INC. PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY.