About Gray Television:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
WDBJ7, WZBJ and WDBJ7.com is a Gray owned dominant CBS affiliated media powerhouse in beautiful Roanoke, Virginia and produces 50 1/2 hours of local news per week. Known as “Your Hometown Station®”, WDBJ7 and WZBJ serve 26 counties across the Blue Ridge Mountain region and produces more award-winning local news coverage than any of its competitors in the Roanoke/Lynchburg market.
Headquartered in a state of the art digital broadcast center in Roanoke, Virginia, the station also operates Virginia bureaus in Lynchburg, Blacksburg, Lexington and Danville. For more than 63 years, WDBJ7 has been the number one station of choice for viewers from Roanoke to Lynchburg and across the New River Valley.
The #1 station in the 68th largest market in the country is looking for an employee with multiple skills who is willing to wear many hats in the newsroom. The person we hire will edit newscasts, shoot news and sporting events, as well as work with MMJs and anchors on packages.
We want someone who has both the skills and the desire to do all of these tasks on different days. There is a fairly large sports component to this position.
The ability to work well on a team is also required. The WDBJ7 newsroom is filled with journalists who not only strive to grown and learn each day but also help their coworkers do the same. We are looking for someone who will fit in with the culture of teamwork and collaboration we have created here at WDBJ7. If you are think you are ready for this unique challenge, apply online at www.gray.tv/applynow and also email email@example.com. Please include a link to examples of your recent work.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
• Edit video and audio for broadcast, promos, and teases
• Edit and ingest news video from network and other sources for broadcast
• Demonstrates sound news judgment and ability to tell stories with pictures and natural sound
• Must be able to utilize non-linear editing equipment on a daily basis
• Must be a visual storyteller
• Communicate with reporters, writers, and producers on video needed for news stories
• Keep track of edited news stories for broadcast, maintain archive
• Respond to breaking news or urgent newsroom situations
• Responsible for ensuring all goals and objectives are being met and training sessions are attended
• Must demonstrate the drive to grow and learn as well as offer creativity every day.
• Ability to work well with co-workers and in a professional manner is required.
• Critique, feedback and training are part of the job
• Required to observe all safety regulations in house
• Load raw video and still photos to the Web site prior to editing television video
• Communicate with the web staff during breaking news
• Manage storage space in video clip bins and maintain a still photo library
• Explore ways to increase visual content on the Web site
• Working knowledge of local geography and road routes is strongly preferred.
• Follow clothing and appearance guidelines
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
*1-3 years experience
* Bachelor's Degree in journalism or related field preferred
• Able to edit stories, work with producers/reporters
• Able to communicate clearly
• Ability to edit video and still photos to match story for on-air or on-line
• Knowledge of how to appropriately use of nat sound
• Must possess the ability to edit on non-linear equipment and to adapt to new technology.
• Generate story ideas; identify potential stories
• Must be able to operate Microsoft Windows software
• Ability to operate news related software is preferred
• Must be able to work well under pressure with limited supervision and daily deadlines
• Ability to stay current with national and local news/weather
• Strong initiative and attention to detail is required
• Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment
• Understanding of and ability to follow and enforce the journalistic code of ethics
• Must be capable of working well with others in challenging work environments to produce the best product for the viewer.
• Must have working knowledge of ENG trucks
• Basic knowledge of web posting software
• Basic knowledge of social media
◘ Interested applicants can apply online at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings by searching the station call letters (WDBJ-TV) and attach resume
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
GRAY TELEVISION, INC. PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY.