About Gray Television:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
Laredo Metro area houses a diverse economy that is often immune to economic anomalies experienced by the rest of the country. Touted the number 1 (one) inland port on the US/Mexico border and diverse in her economy, whether it be ranching, agriculture, international trade, healthcare, education, retail, manufacturing or oil/gas, Laredo and our sister cities offer a wide range of industries to foster a consistently healthy economy. Laredo’s population is a diverse blend of ethnicities with a median age of 27 (twenty seven). Her young and vibrant energy lends itself to a history that offers entertainment, a wide array of eateries and a cultural immersion in a unique experience that can only be held by the romance of this U.S. / Mexico border culture.
A home to many successful broadcasters, KGNS TV has a reputation of preparing reporters, producers, and anchors for their next move, which includes moves to larger metro markets. On the sales and marketing side, training integrated marketing techniques is one of the reasons our team continues to thrive. The KGNS TV family is one where integrity, ethics, and personal growth are fostered. After all, it’s always sunny in Laredo, Texas.
KGNS Media is looking for a multimedia journalist to join Laredo’s number one news team.
The ideal candidate demonstrates solid news judgment and storytelling abilities, with a passion for delivering original, imaginative content every day. A successful MMJ candidate will write, shoot, edit and present compelling content both on-air and online.
You must approach each assignment with a passion for great, human stories, enjoy and remain active on social media and constantly be competing for the day’s top story. If you have a passion for journalism and a talent for storytelling, this is the job for you. Great writing and a willingness to learn will earn you this position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Identifying the day’s most important stories and sourcing materials relevant to your audience
• Working with management and staff to generate stories and content
• Meeting daily deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Write, shoot, and edit stories on your own for daily newscasts and website
• Post and regularly update stories and other material on the web
• Use social media sites, including Facebook, to report stories and interact with viewers
• Research, gather, & provide information in the most accurate, appealing, timely & creative way using all resources
• Develop and maintain sources of information and knowledge about assignments
• Participate in story selection process through meetings, and contribute story ideas daily
• Demonstrate sound news judgment, collaborate with others to present the story in the best way
• Present TV stories in alternative and creative ways that emphasize storytelling techniques
• Ability to travel for assignments, as needed
• Ability to lift 35-40lbs of gear
• Recognize that he/she is a high-profile representative of our news organization in the community and conduct himself/herself in a professional and cordial manner
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
• Ability to shoot and edit video, write scripts, and effectively communicate live on-air
• Flexibility in scheduling, to respond to the changing news landscape
• Availability to work weekends and holidays
• A degree in journalism or related field, or equivalent professional experience preferred
• Good work ethic and strong people skills
• Ability to be a team player and must maintain a professional attitude at all times
• Experience with ENPS editing software is a big plus
• Valid Driver’s License with good driving record. Employment is contingent on a pre-employment drug screen and motor vehicle background check
Please apply online at www.gray.tv/applynow
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray Television’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
GRAY TELEVISION, INC. PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY.