Freebirds World Burrito is in a transformational period of the company’s journey. Freebirds is growing and so is the Human Resources team! Our ideal candidate has experience managing Benefits and Payroll for variable hour employees including workers’ compensation and unemployment. The Benefits and Payroll Specialist is responsible for benefits administration including ADA, FMLA, CFRA, LOA and workers compensation as well as payroll administration. This position reports to the Director of Human Resources to support the key initiatives.
• Ensures the accuracy of all benefits enrollments in the HRIS to provide vendors with accurate eligibility information.
• Assists with new-hire orientations including benefits enrollments and ensures terminations are processed timely.
• Performs quality checks assists with audits of benefits-related data.
• Assists employees regarding benefits claim issues and plan changes.
• Distributes all benefits enrollment materials and determines eligibility for salaried and variable hour employees
• Assists with employees enrolling with carriers and process life status changes through HRIS
• Responds to benefits inquiries from managers and employees on plan provisions, benefits enrollments, status changes and other general inquiries.
• Processes and administers all leave-of-absence requests and disability paperwork: medical, personal, disability and FMLA.
• Effectively interprets FMLA and ADA implications as they relate to leaves of absences/disabilities.
• Responds to 401(k) inquiries from managers and employees relating to enrollments, plan changes and contribution amounts. Manages the annual catch-up contribution enrollment.
• Assists with the open enrollment process.
• Reconciliation and reporting for allocation/billing charges
• Process and review workers' compensation claims
• Track and coordinate with restaurants to return employees back to work as soon as possible.
• Process, reviews and manages unemployment claims
• Oversees processes and manages inquiries and requests related to preparation and distribution of payroll.
• Processes payroll transactions including pay, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions for salaried exempt, salaried non-exempt and tipped hourly employees.
• Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
• Maintains or oversees the maintenance of employee records.
• Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
• Participates and leads audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
• Identifies and recommends updates to payroll software, systems, and procedures.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field
• 5+ years of Human Resources, Payroll or Benefits experience
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite: PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook
• Prior experience with an HRIS such as Ultipro or Harri
• Prior experience with tipped employees is preferred
• Extensive knowledge of employee benefits and applicable laws.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Why work for Freebirds?
• We are in our 3rd year of top 1% of industry performance.
• For the second year in a row, we were awarded the #1 consumer choice for craveable food by
National Restaurant News.
• We are growing and creating tremendous job opportunities.
• We believe in creating exceptional culture, continued product innovation, training enhancements,
and exceptional Texas hospitality.
• Our success is built on the strength of our Tribe - our employees - and our passion for people and food.
• Low-cost healthcare, 401K, and PTO options
• Excellent reward and recognition programs for management and hourly Tribe
• Cell phone, gym partnerships, and ticketed event discounts
This is NOT a remote opportunity.